Pasta with Gorgonzola, Chicken and Mushrooms

This was a very good recipe, and one that I ended up getting distracted in the midst of cooking, but it still came out great! I love creamy chicken pasta dishes, but hadn't cooked with Gorgonzola before but this really sounded delicious and I'm so glad we tried it out! The original recipe calls for cooking diced chicken breast, but I decided to pre-cook a couple chicken breasts in the crock pot to have them on hand for a dish and thought they'd work well in this. My husband really liked the shredded chicken in it, because it really became a part of the sauce and was in every bite.

 Started with shredded Parmesan, pepper, salt, sage, minced garlic, crumbled Gorgonzola cheese, heavy whipping cream, rigatoni and pre-cooked chicken breasts.

 Heated up the oil in the skillet and shredded the chicken into the pan.
 I didn't have canned chicken broth on hand, so I threw a bouillon cube into a cup of water while I worked on the chicken.
 I tossed the garlic into the chicken and stirred that around and let it heat through.
 The chicken broth was ready...
 In went a half a cup of broth.
 Followed by the cream!
 I threw the pasta into the prepared boiling water while the sauce simmered.
 The mushrooms were added and the sauce thickened and reduced.
 In went the cheese!
 Followed by the seasonings.
 I drained the rigatoni.
 And combined the pasta with the sauce.
 All tossed together and ready to go!

Plated up - I think I forgot to sprinkle some Parmesan on it (like I said, I got distracted in there, and ended up letting the sauce cook down more than I meant to, but it still really came out delicious)! It wasn't as "saucy" as it would have been had I actually been paying attention, but the flavor was really great and the shredded chicken worked great in the dish.

Recipe slightly modified from Recipe Shoebox (original recipe from Taste of Home)

Ingredients
1 pkg. (16-oz.) rigatoni pasta (or other tubular pasta)
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 large garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup chicken broth (or white wine)
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 cups fresh mushrooms
1 (5-oz.) container crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
2 tsp dried sage
Salt and pepper, to taste
Grated Parmesan cheese and parsley (for garnishment)

Directions
Cook pasta according to package directions.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, toss shredded chicken and garlic in oil. Add chicken broth, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan.

Add cream and mushrooms; cook until sauce is slightly thickened and mushrooms have released their moisture. Stir in Gorgonzola cheese, sage, salt, and peppers to taste. Cook, stirring frequently, until cheese has completely melted.

Combine sauce and pasta, toss to mix well. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan and parsley if desired.

Comments

  1. I'm so glad you enjoyed it and I love the tweaks you made. It makes me want to make it again soon!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Making Miracles - I love to hear from my visitors, so please take a moment to say hello! :)

Popular Posts