Blueberry Coffee Cake Muffins

There's nothing quite like a homemade muffin fresh from the oven to start your day with! I had saved the Blueberry Streusel Muffins recipe from allrecipes.com awhile back and had about 1/2 a large carton of blueberries to use up and thought this would be a great way to use them! The streusel topping sounded interesting and after I read through the reviews, I made a couple small changes and we really enjoyed these - hubby ate 4 that morning and my son really enjoyed them as well and was bummed when he only got one the next day re-heated in the oven (they re-heated very nicely with a little foil over them)!

I started with all my ingredients, brown sugar, milk, AP flour, Stevia, vanilla, cinnamon, salt, baking powder, lemon juice, butter, egg and blueberries.

The butter and sugar were put in the mixing bowl and creamed together, and the egg was mixed in after the mixture was well creamed.

I combined the dry ingredients in a separate bowl and mixed well.

Next the dry ingredients were added alternately with the milk in the mixing bowl on medium speed, scraping down the sides as necessary.

I stirred the vanilla in by hand and added a splash more milk since my batter was very thick.





Next the blueberries were gently stirred in by hand; I had about 2 cups worth to use up so I went ahead and used them all!



I greased my silicone muffin pan (which I LOVE - it can be awkward to move around since it's a little on the floppy side, but it's so easy to remove the baked muffins and it cools to the touch very quickly so I feel much safer about my son being able to handle it if he wants to get one out after it's sat on the counter for 15+ minutes). Then using the spatula I tried as best I could to evenly distribute the batter!



I combined the streusel toppings and stirred them around to mix them evenly.
Next came the butter! I used the back of a fork to work the butter into the cinnamon sugar mixture to form the streusel topping.

Doesn't that look inviting!? Yumm!


Using a spoon I distributed the topping along the tops of the batter in the muffin pan as evenly as possible.

All covered in brown sugar goodness and ready for 30 minutes in the pre-heated oven!



They came out looking and smelling delicious! The brown sugar topping was crunchy and golden and was a contrast to the pretty color from the blueberries.




We very much enjoyed these muffins, which we decided really should be called "coffee cake muffins" since that is what the taste reminded us of, especially with the cinnamon sugar topping! I thought the texture of the muffins was great, with a nice denseness to it but still light. The crunchy topping added a great contrast of texture and a nice touch of sweetness as well! This recipe got a thumbs up at our house and will certainly be used again!

Recipe slightly adapted from allrecipes.com.

Ingredients
1/2 cup sugar or Stevia
1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 egg, beaten
2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1 TBS lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 - 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries

STREUSEL:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup butter or margarine

Directions
In a mixing bowl, cream sugar and butter. Add egg; mix well.

Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a medium sized separate bowl; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk. Stir in vanilla and lemon juice. Fold in blueberries. Fill 12 greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full.
 
In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, flour and cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly using a fork. Sprinkle over muffins.
 
Bake at 375 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until browned.

Comments

Popular Posts